BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – A fuel tanker has overturned and spilled fuel onto Interstate 65 in Birmingham, prompting officials to shut down the highway in both directions.
Al.com reports (
http://bit.ly/ZprBgw) that the accident occurred at around 7:30 CST Friday. State transportation officials said the highway will likely be closed overnight near the 3rd Avenue South on-ramp.
Birmingham Fire Marshal C.W. Mardis said the truck driver was taken to UAB hospital. A woman in another vehicle was also injured.
Mardis said a truck owned by Dalton, Ga.-based Spirit Express, LLC, was carrying 8,500 gallons of fuel and suffered “a small rupture.” He said Friday night that officials were trying to “stop the leak and clean up the fuel.”
Authorities required some motorists to leave their vehicles on the interstate as the spill was contained.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development