LOS ALAMOS, N.M. (AP) – Officials at Los Alamos National Laboratory say they have been ordered to increase security, but they won’t say why.
In a press release Friday afternoon, the lab said that the National Nuclear Security Administration has directed it to increase security immediately, meaning vehicles and visitors will be subject to extra checks.
Lab spokesman Kevin Roark said lab officials never discuss the reasons behind security alerts. He did say the order was exclusive to Los Alamos, and not all of the nation’s nuclear facilities.
He declined to say if the order had anything to do with a faulty $213 million security system that is being installed around the lab’s most sensitive nuclear facilities.
The system was supposed to be up and running this summer. But officials now say it will take an additional $41 million and another six months.
Last month five security workers were fired for taking unauthorized visitors to a shooting range on the campus.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them