NEW YORK (AP) – New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the National Rifle Association’s call for armed guards in schools represents a paranoid vision of America.
Bloomberg has long called for stricter gun control laws. He says Friday’s press conference by the nation’s largest gun lobby group was “a shameful evasion of the crisis facing our country.”
The NRA says posting armed police officers in every school could stop the next killer “waiting in the wings.”
The NRA’s proposal comes a week after a gunman fatally shot 26 people in a Newtown, Conn., elementary school. The victims included 20 children.
The gunman also killed his mother and himself.
Bloomberg says the NRA lobbyists blame “everyone but themselves” for the crisis of gun violence. He says America must rise above and demand Congress and President Barack Obama work on reasonable gun restrictions.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development