BOSTON (AP) – The Boston Globe has named its deputy managing editor for local news, Brian McGrory, as its new editor.
McGrory, 51, succeeds Martin Baron, who became editor of the Washington Post last week, the Globe said.
“Brian has distinguished himself throughout his career,” the Globe’s publisher, Christopher Mayer, said Thursday. “He will continue to emphasize the accountability reporting that has been the Globe’s trademark, combined with narrative storytelling that gives readers a strong sense of our unique community.”
McGrory oversaw an investigation of state government that led to resignations and indictments of officials including a former House speaker convicted of corruption charges last year. He said his goal is “to inject even more urgency” into the newspaper.
“We need to make sure our journalism is relentlessly interesting and important, and we need to do our job with a sense of humanity, a dose of humor and the courage to hold people in power accountable,” he said.
McGrory, a 23-year Globe veteran, will oversee editorial direction of the newspaper and its websites, BostonGlobe.com and Boston.com.
He joined the Globe in 1989 and has been a general assignment reporter, a White House correspondent, a roving national correspondent and an associate editor. He also has been a metro columnist.
Before joining the Globe, the Bates College graduate worked at the New Haven Register in New Haven, Conn., and The Patriot Ledger in Quincy. He grew up in the Boston area.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development