BOSTON (AP) – The Boston Globe has named its deputy managing editor for local news, Brian McGrory, as its new editor.
McGrory, 51, succeeds Martin Baron, who became editor of the Washington Post last week, the Globe said.
“Brian has distinguished himself throughout his career,” the Globe’s publisher, Christopher Mayer, said Thursday. “He will continue to emphasize the accountability reporting that has been the Globe’s trademark, combined with narrative storytelling that gives readers a strong sense of our unique community.”
McGrory oversaw an investigation of state government that led to resignations and indictments of officials including a former House speaker convicted of corruption charges last year. He said his goal is “to inject even more urgency” into the newspaper.
“We need to make sure our journalism is relentlessly interesting and important, and we need to do our job with a sense of humanity, a dose of humor and the courage to hold people in power accountable,” he said.
McGrory, a 23-year Globe veteran, will oversee editorial direction of the newspaper and its websites, BostonGlobe.com and Boston.com.
He joined the Globe in 1989 and has been a general assignment reporter, a White House correspondent, a roving national correspondent and an associate editor. He also has been a metro columnist.
Before joining the Globe, the Bates College graduate worked at the New Haven Register in New Haven, Conn., and The Patriot Ledger in Quincy. He grew up in the Boston area.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food