BOSTON (AP) – The Boston Globe has named its deputy managing editor for local news, Brian McGrory, as its new editor.
McGrory, 51, succeeds Martin Baron, who became editor of the Washington Post last week, the Globe said.
“Brian has distinguished himself throughout his career,” the Globe’s publisher, Christopher Mayer, said Thursday. “He will continue to emphasize the accountability reporting that has been the Globe’s trademark, combined with narrative storytelling that gives readers a strong sense of our unique community.”
McGrory oversaw an investigation of state government that led to resignations and indictments of officials including a former House speaker convicted of corruption charges last year. He said his goal is “to inject even more urgency” into the newspaper.
“We need to make sure our journalism is relentlessly interesting and important, and we need to do our job with a sense of humanity, a dose of humor and the courage to hold people in power accountable,” he said.
McGrory, a 23-year Globe veteran, will oversee editorial direction of the newspaper and its websites, BostonGlobe.com and Boston.com.
He joined the Globe in 1989 and has been a general assignment reporter, a White House correspondent, a roving national correspondent and an associate editor. He also has been a metro columnist.
Before joining the Globe, the Bates College graduate worked at the New Haven Register in New Haven, Conn., and The Patriot Ledger in Quincy. He grew up in the Boston area.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise