BOSTON (AP) – The Boston Globe has named its deputy managing editor for local news, Brian McGrory, as its new editor.
McGrory, 51, succeeds Martin Baron, who became editor of the Washington Post last week, the Globe said.
“Brian has distinguished himself throughout his career,” the Globe’s publisher, Christopher Mayer, said Thursday. “He will continue to emphasize the accountability reporting that has been the Globe’s trademark, combined with narrative storytelling that gives readers a strong sense of our unique community.”
McGrory oversaw an investigation of state government that led to resignations and indictments of officials including a former House speaker convicted of corruption charges last year. He said his goal is “to inject even more urgency” into the newspaper.
“We need to make sure our journalism is relentlessly interesting and important, and we need to do our job with a sense of humanity, a dose of humor and the courage to hold people in power accountable,” he said.
McGrory, a 23-year Globe veteran, will oversee editorial direction of the newspaper and its websites, BostonGlobe.com and Boston.com.
He joined the Globe in 1989 and has been a general assignment reporter, a White House correspondent, a roving national correspondent and an associate editor. He also has been a metro columnist.
Before joining the Globe, the Bates College graduate worked at the New Haven Register in New Haven, Conn., and The Patriot Ledger in Quincy. He grew up in the Boston area.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas