WATERLOO TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) – A 16-year-old student in southern Michigan was arrested Friday after authorities said he threatened a teacher in an online posting, the latest clampdown on unruly students in the wake of last week’s Connecticut school massacre.
The Jackson County sheriff’s deputies arrested the Chelsea School District student Friday morning at home in Waterloo Township, about 60 miles west of Detroit, MLive.com reported. The sheriff’s department said students and teachers weren’t in danger.
The posting made “a very specific threat to a specific teacher in the district,” the sheriff’s department said in a statement.
Earlier in the week in suburban Detroit, a 16-year-old Fraser High School student was charged with making a false threat of terrorism after he told classmates Tuesday he would bring a gun to school on Friday, The Macomb Daily of Mount Clemens reported.
Both cases are being handled in juvenile courts.
Many students were subject to increased police and security patrols at school on Friday, one week after the Connecticut shootings that left 20 students and six faculty members dead. In Michigan, more security was planned in the Brighton and Saginaw areas.
Officials in Jackson County earlier in the week increased patrols following a threat about a potential shooting at Springport Community Schools. In that case, a 17-year-old student was arrested and charged with making a false report or threat of terrorism.
In Oklahoma, meanwhile, the Caney Valley district in Washington County and Locust Grove district in Mayes County have canceled classes because of threats. Bartlesville schools canceled classes Wednesday following a threat and a separate report of a man with a gun near the school.
Dozens of Michigan schools canceled classes this week for thousands of students to cool off rumored threats of violence and problems related to doomsday scenarios based on the Mayan calendar. Friday is the day when some people believe ancient Mayan calendars predicted the world would end.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food