SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – A woman died during a heavy snowstorm after walking away from her stranded vehicle in the middle of a national forest in southern Utah, authorities said Thursday.
The woman’s companion continued on his own for help and survived temperatures near zero overnight Tuesday in an abandoned cabin in Dixie National Forest, about 25 miles north of St. George.
The man found a group of snowmobilers the next morning who contacted police about noon. Search and rescue crews later found the woman dead in the snow, a few miles from the car.
The couple _ their relationship wasn’t immediately clear _ was traveling across the national forest Tuesday from Gunlock Reservoir north to Enterprise, a distance of about 20 miles, when their vehicle got stuck.
Rescuers had difficulty getting into the remote area using snowmobiles, Washington County Sheriff’s Detective Nate Abbot said.
“At one point the female couldn’t go any further, so she tried to take shelter … while the male continued on north to locate somebody to help,” Abbot told The Salt Lake Tribune.
An autopsy is planned. No names were released as sheriff’s officials sought to notify family members of the woman.
Abbott said motorists who get stranded by snow should remain with their vehicle instead of trying to walk off for help.
Sheriff’s officials and Enterprise Fire Chief Ty March didn’t immediately return calls Thursday from The Associated Press.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise