SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – A woman died during a heavy snowstorm after walking away from her stranded vehicle in the middle of a national forest in southern Utah, authorities said Thursday.
The woman’s companion continued on his own for help and survived temperatures near zero overnight Tuesday in an abandoned cabin in Dixie National Forest, about 25 miles north of St. George.
The man found a group of snowmobilers the next morning who contacted police about noon. Search and rescue crews later found the woman dead in the snow, a few miles from the car.
The couple _ their relationship wasn’t immediately clear _ was traveling across the national forest Tuesday from Gunlock Reservoir north to Enterprise, a distance of about 20 miles, when their vehicle got stuck.
Rescuers had difficulty getting into the remote area using snowmobiles, Washington County Sheriff’s Detective Nate Abbot said.
“At one point the female couldn’t go any further, so she tried to take shelter … while the male continued on north to locate somebody to help,” Abbot told The Salt Lake Tribune.
An autopsy is planned. No names were released as sheriff’s officials sought to notify family members of the woman.
Abbott said motorists who get stranded by snow should remain with their vehicle instead of trying to walk off for help.
Sheriff’s officials and Enterprise Fire Chief Ty March didn’t immediately return calls Thursday from The Associated Press.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.