SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – A woman died during a heavy snowstorm after walking away from her stranded vehicle in the middle of a national forest in southern Utah, authorities said Thursday.
The woman’s companion continued on his own for help and survived temperatures near zero overnight Tuesday in an abandoned cabin in Dixie National Forest, about 25 miles north of St. George.
The man found a group of snowmobilers the next morning who contacted police about noon. Search and rescue crews later found the woman dead in the snow, a few miles from the car.
The couple _ their relationship wasn’t immediately clear _ was traveling across the national forest Tuesday from Gunlock Reservoir north to Enterprise, a distance of about 20 miles, when their vehicle got stuck.
Rescuers had difficulty getting into the remote area using snowmobiles, Washington County Sheriff’s Detective Nate Abbot said.
“At one point the female couldn’t go any further, so she tried to take shelter … while the male continued on north to locate somebody to help,” Abbot told The Salt Lake Tribune.
An autopsy is planned. No names were released as sheriff’s officials sought to notify family members of the woman.
Abbott said motorists who get stranded by snow should remain with their vehicle instead of trying to walk off for help.
Sheriff’s officials and Enterprise Fire Chief Ty March didn’t immediately return calls Thursday from The Associated Press.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development