(AP) – The Treasury Department plans to sell its remaining stake in General Motors over the next 15 months, allowing the automaker to shed the stigma of being partly owned by the U.S. government.
GM agreed to buy 200 million shares of its stock from the government for $5.5 billion. The government agreed to sell its remaining 300 million shares by early 2014.
The government got the stock back in 2009 in exchange for a $49.5 billion bailout designed to save the company, which was at risk of running out of money. Once the buyback is complete, the Treasury will have recovered more than half of the bailout funds. But taxpayers are still are likely to lose billions of dollars.
A look at some of the major steps taken by GM and the government:
_ April 2010: GM repays $6.7 billion in loans to the government. GM pays $800 million in dividends and interest over time.
_ November 2010: Government gets $13.5 billion from GM initial public stock offering.
_ December 2010: GM buys $2.1 billion of its preferred stock from the government.
_ December 2012: GM and Treasury officials announce deal to end government stake in the company.
Sources: GM, Treasury Department, AP Archives.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets