ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) – An Iranian technology company and several of its managers and business partners have been indicted in Virginia for violating the U.S. trade embargo against Iran.
The indictment in federal court in Alexandria was unsealed Wednesday after two of the alleged conspirators were arrested in Los Angeles.
Prosecutors say that Tehran-based Business Machinery World Wide engaged in a four-year conspiracy to export more than $30 million in laptop computers, digital media equipment and other technology from the U.S. into Iran. Often the goods were routed through a subsidiary in Dubai.
The indictment alleges that BMWW employees took steps to hide the fact that the goods they were buying were ultimately destined for Iran.
Nine people, including four Iranian citizens, have been charged. They potentially face up to 25 years in prison.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy