ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) – An Iranian technology company and several of its managers and business partners have been indicted in Virginia for violating the U.S. trade embargo against Iran.
The indictment in federal court in Alexandria was unsealed Wednesday after two of the alleged conspirators were arrested in Los Angeles.
Prosecutors say that Tehran-based Business Machinery World Wide engaged in a four-year conspiracy to export more than $30 million in laptop computers, digital media equipment and other technology from the U.S. into Iran. Often the goods were routed through a subsidiary in Dubai.
The indictment alleges that BMWW employees took steps to hide the fact that the goods they were buying were ultimately destined for Iran.
Nine people, including four Iranian citizens, have been charged. They potentially face up to 25 years in prison.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee