ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) – An Iranian technology company and several of its managers and business partners have been indicted in Virginia for violating the U.S. trade embargo against Iran.
The indictment in federal court in Alexandria was unsealed Wednesday after two of the alleged conspirators were arrested in Los Angeles.
Prosecutors say that Tehran-based Business Machinery World Wide engaged in a four-year conspiracy to export more than $30 million in laptop computers, digital media equipment and other technology from the U.S. into Iran. Often the goods were routed through a subsidiary in Dubai.
The indictment alleges that BMWW employees took steps to hide the fact that the goods they were buying were ultimately destined for Iran.
Nine people, including four Iranian citizens, have been charged. They potentially face up to 25 years in prison.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night