MONROE, Conn. (AP) – The Connecticut students who survived a mass shooting at their school will return to class after the winter break at a school in a neighboring town.
Twenty students and six staff members were killed by a gunman on Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The Connecticut Post reported Tuesday (
http://bit.ly/TY4dPC) the school’s other students will attend Chalk Hill School in Monroe.
Chalk Hill hasn’t been used as a school since June 2011. Volunteers and town officials have been making it suitable for elementary school students.
Monroe Superintendent of Schools James Agostine’s office says the school will reopen after Jan. 1 but a date hasn’t been set. Newtown school officials will decide.
Monroe police Lt. Brian McCauley says authorities are trying to make sure the school is safe for when Newtown officials send teachers and students there.
Information from: Connecticut Post,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night