MONROE, Conn. (AP) – The Connecticut students who survived a mass shooting at their school will return to class after the winter break at a school in a neighboring town.
Twenty students and six staff members were killed by a gunman on Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The Connecticut Post reported Tuesday (
http://bit.ly/TY4dPC) the school’s other students will attend Chalk Hill School in Monroe.
Chalk Hill hasn’t been used as a school since June 2011. Volunteers and town officials have been making it suitable for elementary school students.
Monroe Superintendent of Schools James Agostine’s office says the school will reopen after Jan. 1 but a date hasn’t been set. Newtown school officials will decide.
Monroe police Lt. Brian McCauley says authorities are trying to make sure the school is safe for when Newtown officials send teachers and students there.
Information from: Connecticut Post,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them