MONROE, Conn. (AP) – The Connecticut students who survived a mass shooting at their school will return to class after the winter break at a school in a neighboring town.
Twenty students and six staff members were killed by a gunman on Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The Connecticut Post reported Tuesday (
http://bit.ly/TY4dPC) the school’s other students will attend Chalk Hill School in Monroe.
Chalk Hill hasn’t been used as a school since June 2011. Volunteers and town officials have been making it suitable for elementary school students.
Monroe Superintendent of Schools James Agostine’s office says the school will reopen after Jan. 1 but a date hasn’t been set. Newtown school officials will decide.
Monroe police Lt. Brian McCauley says authorities are trying to make sure the school is safe for when Newtown officials send teachers and students there.
Information from: Connecticut Post,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever