SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) – A judge has ordered that a man charged with firing 54 shots outside a Newport Beach mall be held without bail.
Marcos Sarinana Gurrola was charged Tuesday with 54 counts of discharging a gun in public and two counts of assault because a mother and her 4-year-old daughter were knocked down and injured as they fled.
The 42-year-old ex-security guard also was charged with 10 more counts after prosecutors linked him to a similar shooting in 2011 at the same mall.
No one was hit in either shooting at Fashion Island.
A police detective says Gurrola told him he discharged the gun because “it made him feel better.”
The Orange County Register (
http://bit.ly/XFXlri) reports police are investigating several similar incidents involving Gurrola.
Gurrola did not enter a plea. He’s scheduled for arraignment Jan. 11.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain