DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) – An Iowa couple who won a $202 million Powerball jackpot in September is donating $3 million to their son’s high school for a new football stadium _ but the gift comes with a catch.
The stadium visitor’s locker room must be painted pink.
The Bondurant-Farrar school district accepted the $3 million donation from Brian and Mary Lohse on Monday, The Des Moines Register reported (
http://dmreg.co/V4NrBG). The couple from the Des Moines suburb of Bondurant requested only that the new stadium be completed before the fall 2014 football season _ their oldest son’s senior year _ and that the visiting team’s locker room be painted pink.
“I was sort of half joking and half not, I suppose, but they said they’d do it,” Mary Lohse said of her scheme, inspired by the University of Iowa visitor’s locker room at Kinnick Stadium, which is also painted pink.
“It’s supposed to put them in a certain soft frame of mind,” Mary Lohse said. “It will certainly give all the players something to talk about.”
The Lohse family has requested the stadium not be named for them. The Lohses’ hope the stadium will be a community project and that local residents and groups will make other contributions.
Planning for the stadium has already begun. Local architects SVPA are handling the design. The stadium will include an academic wing and a fine arts auditorium.
“It not only gives us the opportunity to accelerate the stadium project, but to advance other plans for projects within the district as well,” school board President Kristin Swift said.
The $3 million for the stadium will be released in three, $1 million increments.
Information from: The Des Moines Register,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life