DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) – An Iowa couple who won a $202 million Powerball jackpot in September is donating $3 million to their son’s high school for a new football stadium _ but the gift comes with a catch.
The stadium visitor’s locker room must be painted pink.
The Bondurant-Farrar school district accepted the $3 million donation from Brian and Mary Lohse on Monday, The Des Moines Register reported (
http://dmreg.co/V4NrBG). The couple from the Des Moines suburb of Bondurant requested only that the new stadium be completed before the fall 2014 football season _ their oldest son’s senior year _ and that the visiting team’s locker room be painted pink.
“I was sort of half joking and half not, I suppose, but they said they’d do it,” Mary Lohse said of her scheme, inspired by the University of Iowa visitor’s locker room at Kinnick Stadium, which is also painted pink.
“It’s supposed to put them in a certain soft frame of mind,” Mary Lohse said. “It will certainly give all the players something to talk about.”
The Lohse family has requested the stadium not be named for them. The Lohses’ hope the stadium will be a community project and that local residents and groups will make other contributions.
Planning for the stadium has already begun. Local architects SVPA are handling the design. The stadium will include an academic wing and a fine arts auditorium.
“It not only gives us the opportunity to accelerate the stadium project, but to advance other plans for projects within the district as well,” school board President Kristin Swift said.
The $3 million for the stadium will be released in three, $1 million increments.
Information from: The Des Moines Register,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered