MIAMI (AP) – Five Jamaicans who said they had been drifting on a small boat in the Caribbean for three weeks were rescued Monday by a cruise ship, authorities said.
The Island Princess ship brought the group on board, Princess Cruises spokeswoman Susanne Ferrull said. Ferrull did not immediately know the boat passengers’ conditions or ages.
The Island Princess left Fort Lauderdale a week ago and was scheduled to arrive Tuesday in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
The passengers on the boat told cruise workers they were on their way to a barbeque and ran out of gas, Ferrull said. The boaters asked the cruise workers to give them fuel so they could continue on their way, but the cruise workers said they don’t do that. The cruise workers took the boaters aboard and notified officials in Jamaica.
The captain of the cruise ship notified passengers about the small boat earlier Monday on the loudspeaker.
“We noticed the boat slowing down,” said passenger Andy Greenberg of Omaha, Neb. “We pulled up and the occupants were screaming: `No food, no water.'” Greenberg said passengers were told that the motor on the boat broke down.
The Coast Guard declined comment, citing the ongoing investigation.
The rescue took less than 45 minutes.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever