MIAMI (AP) – Five Jamaicans who said they had been drifting on a small boat in the Caribbean for three weeks were rescued Monday by a cruise ship, authorities said.
The Island Princess ship brought the group on board, Princess Cruises spokeswoman Susanne Ferrull said. Ferrull did not immediately know the boat passengers’ conditions or ages.
The Island Princess left Fort Lauderdale a week ago and was scheduled to arrive Tuesday in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
The passengers on the boat told cruise workers they were on their way to a barbeque and ran out of gas, Ferrull said. The boaters asked the cruise workers to give them fuel so they could continue on their way, but the cruise workers said they don’t do that. The cruise workers took the boaters aboard and notified officials in Jamaica.
The captain of the cruise ship notified passengers about the small boat earlier Monday on the loudspeaker.
“We noticed the boat slowing down,” said passenger Andy Greenberg of Omaha, Neb. “We pulled up and the occupants were screaming: `No food, no water.'” Greenberg said passengers were told that the motor on the boat broke down.
The Coast Guard declined comment, citing the ongoing investigation.
The rescue took less than 45 minutes.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.