CLEVELAND (AP) – Autopsies found cocaine in the systems of two unarmed people killed by police in Cleveland after a chase that ended with 13 officers firing 137 rounds.
The reports Friday from the Cuyahoga (ky-uh-HOH’-guh) County medical examiner show cocaine in the blood of 43-year-old driver Timothy Russell and his passenger, 30-year-old Malissa Williams. He also tested positive for amphetamines and she tested positive for marijuana.
Russell was shot 23 times and Williams 24 after a half-hour pursuit involving at least 30 patrol cars. It’s unclear why Russell didn’t stop.
Some community leaders called the shootings a racially motivated execution. The police union says the shootings were justified because Russell tried to ram an officer. Some officers also thought the two were armed.
Williams and Russell each had previous criminal convictions.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes