LOWER ALLOWAYS CREEK TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) – A nuclear reactor in southern New Jersey resumed operations Saturday after crews repaired a leak in the containment building that was discovered two days earlier.
Regulators say the spill was confined to the containment building, and there was never a threat to the public or workers. PSEG Nuclear says about 4,800 gallons of slightly radioactive water leaked out, and the water went through the plant’s drain system as designed. The entire system holds 90,000 gallons.
The Salem Unit 1 in Lower Alloways Creek Township was manually shut down around 7:30 p.m. Thursday, after the water was discovered leaking at a rate of 4 gallons per minute. The initial investigation determined the leak came from a valve in the reactor coolant system.
PSEG Nuclear spokesman Joe Delmar told the South Jersey Times (
http://bit.ly/14PRR0T) the plant returned to service at 4:47 p.m. Saturday.
Neil Sheehan, spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, told the newspaper that the agency’s resident inspectors assigned to the Salem plant were made aware of the situation and were on hand to witness the shutdown, which went smoothly. The valve that was leaking had been replaced during the last refueling outage at Salem 1 this spring, NRC officials said.
The neighboring Salem 2 and Hope Creek reactors were not affected by the shutdown and continued operating at full power.
The three reactors are operated by PSEG Nuclear at its Artificial Island complex in the township. They can produce enough electricity to power 3 million homes.
Information from: South Jersey Times (Woodbury, N.J.),
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets