MINERAL POINT, Mo. (AP) – A man shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy in Missouri early Saturday as emergency workers loaded an unconscious person into the back of an ambulance, authorities said.
Christopher Parsons, who became a deputy in October, was shot and killed while responding to a call around 2 a.m. about an unconscious person near Mineral Point, a community of roughly 350 residents about 80 miles southeast of St. Louis, said Missouri State Highway Patrol Trooper Juston Wheetley.
“As they were loading (the unconscious person) into the back of the ambulance they were ambushed,” Wheetley said. He said investigators don’t know of any motive.
Wheetley said the shooting suspect, Gary Sancegrow, 30, of Mineral Point, was taken into custody without incident at about 5:15 p.m. He said people who knew Sancegrow brought him to a checkpoint that law enforcement had set up in the Mineral Point area.
The suspect had run into a heavily wooded area after the shooting and was wearing camouflage clothing, Wheetley said.
Wheetley said Sancegrow was the only suspect being sought in the death.
Several law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service, had joined in the search, which had been going on all day Saturday. The sheriff’s department also had put up a $2,500 reward for information leading to Sancegrow’s arrest.
Wheetley said it was unclear if the reward prompted Sancegrow’s arrest.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns