MINERAL POINT, Mo. (AP) – A man shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy in Missouri early Saturday as emergency workers loaded an unconscious person into the back of an ambulance, authorities said.
Christopher Parsons, who became a deputy in October, was shot and killed while responding to a call around 2 a.m. about an unconscious person near Mineral Point, a community of roughly 350 residents about 80 miles southeast of St. Louis, said Missouri State Highway Patrol Trooper Juston Wheetley.
“As they were loading (the unconscious person) into the back of the ambulance they were ambushed,” Wheetley said. He said investigators don’t know of any motive.
Wheetley said the shooting suspect, Gary Sancegrow, 30, of Mineral Point, was taken into custody without incident at about 5:15 p.m. He said people who knew Sancegrow brought him to a checkpoint that law enforcement had set up in the Mineral Point area.
The suspect had run into a heavily wooded area after the shooting and was wearing camouflage clothing, Wheetley said.
Wheetley said Sancegrow was the only suspect being sought in the death.
Several law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service, had joined in the search, which had been going on all day Saturday. The sheriff’s department also had put up a $2,500 reward for information leading to Sancegrow’s arrest.
Wheetley said it was unclear if the reward prompted Sancegrow’s arrest.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon