MINERAL POINT, Mo. (AP) – A man shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy in Missouri early Saturday as emergency workers loaded an unconscious person into the back of an ambulance, authorities said.
Christopher Parsons, who became a deputy in October, was shot and killed while responding to a call around 2 a.m. about an unconscious person near Mineral Point, a community of roughly 350 residents about 80 miles southeast of St. Louis, said Missouri State Highway Patrol Trooper Juston Wheetley.
“As they were loading (the unconscious person) into the back of the ambulance they were ambushed,” Wheetley said. He said investigators don’t know of any motive.
Wheetley said the shooting suspect, Gary Sancegrow, 30, of Mineral Point, was taken into custody without incident at about 5:15 p.m. He said people who knew Sancegrow brought him to a checkpoint that law enforcement had set up in the Mineral Point area.
The suspect had run into a heavily wooded area after the shooting and was wearing camouflage clothing, Wheetley said.
Wheetley said Sancegrow was the only suspect being sought in the death.
Several law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service, had joined in the search, which had been going on all day Saturday. The sheriff’s department also had put up a $2,500 reward for information leading to Sancegrow’s arrest.
Wheetley said it was unclear if the reward prompted Sancegrow’s arrest.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees