NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) – Some parents in Newtown, Conn., are urging local education officials to consider stationing police at all town schools as they put together their budget proposal.
Three parents called for school resource officers at all Newtown schools at a school board meeting Tuesday night. They say the town should do all it can to prevent another tragedy like the one last month at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where a gunman killed 20 first-graders, six educators and himself after fatally shooting his mother at home.
Superintendent of Schools Janet Robinson’s proposed $73 million education budget for 2013-2014 includes $165,200 for an extra eight security guards. She says safety became officials’ top concern after the shootings.
Newtown has a high school, middle school, intermediate school and four elementary schools.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development