LAS VEGAS (AP) – An Illinois man who fatally wounded a concierge clerk and killed himself at a Las Vegas Strip casino hotel moved with the woman to Las Vegas about three years ago and harbored anger about their breakup, a police homicide commander said Tuesday.
Edward C. Brandt of Lake Forest, Ill., checked into the Excalibur hotel-casino Dec. 12, and waited two days before approaching Jessica Corinne Kenny late Friday while she worked at the concierge desk in the hotel lobby, Las Vegas police Lt. Ray Steiber said.
Brandt, 31, shot Kenny four times with a .38-caliber revolver, then killed himself with a final gunshot to the head, Steiber said. The gun holds five bullets.
Kenny died at a Las Vegas hospital a short time later. She was 30.
Steiber said homicide detectives determined Brandt was acting alone.
“His intent was to kill her. He conjured up this idea that she was unfaithful. He waited until he could get to her,” Steiber said of Kenny, a vendor at the hotel for the travel website VEGAS.com. She died at a hospital shortly after the shooting and was mourned by friends and family members at a private memorial on Monday evening.
“He didn’t hurt anyone else,” Steiber said of Brandt. “He could have.”
The two dated for less than six months and moved together to Las Vegas before breaking up about 2 1/2 years ago, Steiber said. Kenny stayed in Las Vegas, Brandt moved back to the Chicago area.
Casino patrons and guests ducked for cover and scrambled for exits at the sound of gunfire on a busy weekend night at the nearly 4,000-room hotel. But officials say no one else was injured.
The National Finals Rodeo and other events were taking place in Las Vegas and television news was showing images of a school massacre earlier that day in Newtown, Conn.
Telephone messages to a Brandt family member haven’t been returned.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food