LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – A federal jury convicted a former Arkansas police officer Friday on extortion and drug charges linked to a sweeping investigation into corruption and drug trafficking in east Arkansas.
Former Helena-West Helena police officer Marlene Kalb was convicted of extortion and attempt to possess a controlled substance but was acquitted on a money-laundering charge. She pleaded not guilty to all charges and testified in her own defense Wednesday. Jurors had deliberated since Thursday.
Kalb was among dozens of people indicted last year in the investigation called “Operation Delta Blues.” Four former law enforcement officers pleaded guilty to various charges.
Police said Kalb twice accepted money to protect drug shipments.
Randy Coleman, head of the FBI in Arkansas, told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that Kalb’s conviction was a bittersweet moment.
“It’s bitter in the fact that yet another sworn law enforcement officer, the fifth in this case, has been convicted of misusing her position in exchange for a couple payments worth $500,” Coleman said. “It’s sweet in that it shows what we can do as a team in addressing public corruption, law enforcement corruption, violent gang and drug activity.”
Kalb’s attorney, John Wesley Hall, told the newspaper that he will file motions to vacate the convictions, saying there was insufficient evidence.
“I think the money laundering acquittal is inconsistent with the extortion conviction because they depend on the same facts, the exact same facts,” he said. “… It kind of shows an inconsistency. But jury verdicts are allowed to be inconsistent.”
Kalb was taken into custody shortly after the verdicts were read. She’ll be sentenced at a later date.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns