LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – A federal jury convicted a former Arkansas police officer Friday on extortion and drug charges linked to a sweeping investigation into corruption and drug trafficking in east Arkansas.
Former Helena-West Helena police officer Marlene Kalb was convicted of extortion and attempt to possess a controlled substance but was acquitted on a money-laundering charge. She pleaded not guilty to all charges and testified in her own defense Wednesday. Jurors had deliberated since Thursday.
Kalb was among dozens of people indicted last year in the investigation called “Operation Delta Blues.” Four former law enforcement officers pleaded guilty to various charges.
Police said Kalb twice accepted money to protect drug shipments.
Randy Coleman, head of the FBI in Arkansas, told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that Kalb’s conviction was a bittersweet moment.
“It’s bitter in the fact that yet another sworn law enforcement officer, the fifth in this case, has been convicted of misusing her position in exchange for a couple payments worth $500,” Coleman said. “It’s sweet in that it shows what we can do as a team in addressing public corruption, law enforcement corruption, violent gang and drug activity.”
Kalb’s attorney, John Wesley Hall, told the newspaper that he will file motions to vacate the convictions, saying there was insufficient evidence.
“I think the money laundering acquittal is inconsistent with the extortion conviction because they depend on the same facts, the exact same facts,” he said. “… It kind of shows an inconsistency. But jury verdicts are allowed to be inconsistent.”
Kalb was taken into custody shortly after the verdicts were read. She’ll be sentenced at a later date.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick