ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – A Republican who cast the deciding vote to legalize gay marriage in New York has conceded he lost his re-election bid.
Veteran state Sen. Stephen Saland’s (SUH’-lahndz) defeat means three of the four Republicans who cast critical votes for gay marriage in June 2011 won’t be returning to the Senate.
Saland’s concession Thursday ends a long count of absentee ballots in the Hudson Valley race, in which Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo (KWOH’-moh) praised him for what he called a courageous vote of conscience.
Democrat Terry Gipson wins the 41st Senate District race.
Saland has represented the district in Putnam and Dutchess counties for more than 20 years. He sponsored legislation for schools and to combat child abuse.
Saland says his years in the Legislature have been a “great honor.”
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains