ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – A Republican who cast the deciding vote to legalize gay marriage in New York has conceded he lost his re-election bid.
Veteran state Sen. Stephen Saland’s (SUH’-lahndz) defeat means three of the four Republicans who cast critical votes for gay marriage in June 2011 won’t be returning to the Senate.
Saland’s concession Thursday ends a long count of absentee ballots in the Hudson Valley race, in which Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo (KWOH’-moh) praised him for what he called a courageous vote of conscience.
Democrat Terry Gipson wins the 41st Senate District race.
Saland has represented the district in Putnam and Dutchess counties for more than 20 years. He sponsored legislation for schools and to combat child abuse.
Saland says his years in the Legislature have been a “great honor.”
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever