BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – A worker who killed himself inside an Alabama federal courthouse Thursday went through an employee entrance to avoid a security check that could have caught the gun, officials said.
The U.S. Marshals Service said the worker used an access card to enter the Hugo L. Black U.S. Courthouse in Birmingham. The card system is being used at times while renovation work is done on the main entrance.
The man, identified by authorities as building services director David Lee Williams, 50, of Birmingham, did not walk through metal detectors that are staffed by security officers to prevent weapons from entering the building, the Marshals Service said.
Police Sgt. Johnny Williams said the worker shot himself once in the head in a first-floor clerk’s office. It was unclear how open or public that area of the office is, and officials would not elaborate Thursday. No one else in the building was threatened, Williams said.
Officials said courthouse procedures were under review after the shooting, but they declined to discuss details, citing security concerns.
Courthouse business was delayed briefly after the shooting, but the building remained open.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets