ATLANTA (AP) – An abandoned government building erupted into flames early Thursday near Atlanta’s airport, with smoke filling the sky as jets approached the runway.
A spokeswoman for Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport says there were no flight delays as a result. Spokeswoman Myrna White says the airport’s operations team was closely monitoring the situation.
Fire officials say the blaze was reported at a vacant building once used as a training facility for firefighters. There were no immediate reports of any injuries.
Hartsfield-Jackson, which is located south of downtown Atlanta, is the world’s busiest airport.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the fire was burning as early as 5:30 am., and that firefighters were taking a defensive posture in battling the blaze. It was unclear late Thursday morning if the fire had been brought under control.
Information from: WSB-TV,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths