NEW YORK (AP) – New York City’s experiment with taxi-hailing smartphone apps has gotten a green light from an appeals court.
The state Supreme Court’s Appellate Division said Tuesday that the city can continue a yearlong test of “e-hail” services for yellow cabs.
The city OK’d the project in December. Car service owners sued. They say the program is unfair because they rely on pre-arranged fares, among other arguments.
A judge dismissed their lawsuit in April. They then appealed.
With the court’s OK, a few companies started offering the service while the appeal played out.
A lawyer for e-hail opponents hasn’t immediately commented on Tuesday’s ruling.
City Taxi and Limousine Commissioner David Yassky says the city’s pleased to be able to offer passengers another way to summon cabs.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona