HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) – A Pennsylvania woman was ordered Wednesday to spend at least three years in prison for a high-speed crash that killed her three young grandchildren.
Laurie Hatfield, 50, had asked for house arrest after pleading no contest to vehicular homicide in the crash that happened after state police say the Duncannon woman sped away from another collision at about 100 mph.
“I never, ever wanted this to happen and I wish to God it was me,” Hatfield said, according to The Patriot-News of Harrisburg (
Investigators said 5-year-old Luke Stump Jr. and 2-year-old twins Megyn and Troy Stump were not properly restrained when Hatfield’s station wagon plunged down an embankment near Harrisburg in April 2010.
The children’s father begged the judge not to send his mother to prison.
“Nothing makes me happy,” said the father, Luke Stump, directing his remarks to Hatfield. “And you going to jail isn’t going to change that.”
The newspaper reported that a raucous outcry from Hatfield’s family led deputies to clear them from the courtroom when Judge Bernard Coates Jr. announced the sentence. Some shouted and cursed, with their objections in the hallway audible inside the courtroom.
The prosecutor told the newspaper that three of them were charged with disorderly conduct.
The judge said his sentence was fashioned with the children in mind.
“I shudder to imagine the horrific last minutes of their lives,” Coates said.
Information from: The Patriot-News,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them