WASHINGTON (AP) – To give tweets is to receive them. Knowing that, a Catholic group wants one of Twitter’s newest users, Pope Benedict XVI, to pressure Democrats and Republicans to show compassion in their “fiscal cliff” talks.
A day before the pope plans to begin responding to tweeted questions, Catholics United urged people Tuesday to tweet him first. The group, which advocates for the poor, wants people to ask him to state his views on the partisan battle over controlling federal deficits, hoping he will bring compassion to the debate.
Catholics United spokesman Chris Pumpelly said hundreds of people have so far tweeted the pope on the issue on his new handle, (at) Pontifex.
The fiscal cliff is tax increases and spending cuts that begin in January unless bargainers find alternative savings.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food