MOBILE, Ala. (AP) – A federal judge in Alabama has sentenced two men to 15 years in prison each for conspiring to support terrorists.
U.S. District Judge Kristi DuBose imposed the sentences Friday on 26-year-old Randy Lamar Wilson of Mobile and Mohammad Abdul Rahman Abukhdair, who’s originally from New York.
The men pleaded guilty earlier this year to charges of conspiring to provide material support to terrorists.
Prosecutors say the two men met over the Internet and Abukhdair moved to Mobile, where Wilson lived. The two had become business partners before their arrests a year ago.
Federal prosecutors portrayed Wilson as an Islamic radical who wanted to reunite with Omar Hammami, an Alabama native who became a jihadi in Africa. Somali rivals killed Hammami in September.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl