ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – Electricity and gas utility National Grid says it has agreed to pay more than $6 million to workers in Massachusetts, New York and Rhode Island who waited months to receive compensation for work performed after Superstorm Sandy.
More than 8,500 employees in those states will receive lump sum payments of $750.
Company spokeswoman Jackie Barry blames the problem on a computerized payroll system that went online as scheduled just days into the chaotic recovery from the late October storm.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (SHNY’-dur-muhn) says he reached a $4.8 million settlement with National Grid. Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley earlier announced a $270,000 fine against the utility for violations of wage and hour laws.
The company has agreed not to pass the costs on to ratepayers.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy