WASHINGTON (AP) – An international study shows American students perform better than the global average, but still lag behind many of their peers in Asia and Europe.
The study is conducted every four years in nations around the world. This year’s results show a mixed bag for American educational progress.
Fourth-graders in the U.S. have improved their math and reading scores since 2007. But eighth-grade math and science scores are stagnant.
Kids in countries like Finland and Singapore outperform American fourth-graders in science and reading. Eighth-grade scores are lower in the U.S. than in Russia, Japan and Taiwan for math. Hong Kong, Slovenia and South Korea outperform American eighth-graders in science.
Reading skills are a major strength for the U.S. Only a few points separate American fourth-graders from the world’s top-scoring students.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof