BOSTON (AP) – A British contractor has agreed to plead guilty to wire fraud conspiracy in a deal to supply vehicles to Iraqi police during U.S.-led reconstruction efforts.
The U.S. Department of Justice said Monday that APTx Vehicle Systems Ltd. agreed to a $1 million criminal fine.
Officials say APTx was to receive $5.7 million as a subcontractor in an August 2004 deal to procure 51 vehicles for the Iraqi Police Authority. They say in 2005 the company tried to draw down the letters of credit it was paid with by claiming the vehicles were ready to ship to Iraq even though they hadn’t been built.
Massachusetts businessman and APTx representative Benjamin Kafka pleaded guilty in 2009 to concealing his knowledge of the scheme.
APTx attorneys haven’t returned emails sent Monday requesting comment.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.