BOSTON (AP) – A British contractor has agreed to plead guilty to wire fraud conspiracy in a deal to supply vehicles to Iraqi police during U.S.-led reconstruction efforts.
The U.S. Department of Justice said Monday that APTx Vehicle Systems Ltd. agreed to a $1 million criminal fine.
Officials say APTx was to receive $5.7 million as a subcontractor in an August 2004 deal to procure 51 vehicles for the Iraqi Police Authority. They say in 2005 the company tried to draw down the letters of credit it was paid with by claiming the vehicles were ready to ship to Iraq even though they hadn’t been built.
Massachusetts businessman and APTx representative Benjamin Kafka pleaded guilty in 2009 to concealing his knowledge of the scheme.
APTx attorneys haven’t returned emails sent Monday requesting comment.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match