OROVILLE, Calif. (AP) – Prosecutors in Northern California say they plan to pursue charges against a man accused of holding his ex-wife hostage in his attic _ even though the woman has recanted the story.
Lawson Rankin, 29, of Oroville was arrested this week after sheriff’s deputies discovered his ex-wife trapped behind a wall in the attic of his house. She told deputies that she had been held captive there for two weeks and was repeatedly beaten and raped by Rankin.
Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey said the woman, whose identity has not been released, told him Thursday that she wasn’t held against her will and she doesn’t want to testify.
When deputies went to Rankin’s Oroville house to check on his ex-wife Monday, he said he didn’t know where she was, but they noticed he was covered in drywall mud. The officers saw an area wet with the mud and broke the seal to find the woman trapped inside, official said.
The district attorney said his office will still proceed with charges against Rankin, who was arrested on suspicion of torture, rape, false imprisonment and other charges.
Ramsey said there have been three prior domestic abuse incidents between Rankin and his ex-wife.
“It’s not unusual for victims of domestic violence that have been severely injured, that are still in love with their abuser, and when law enforcement comes and gets them out of the situation, they change their story around,” Ramsey told KTLX-TV in Sacramento.
Rankin was booked into Butte County Jail without bail. It was unclear whether he had an attorney.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths