SEATTLE (AP) – Marijuana became legal under Washington state law Thursday. So, bong hits and funny brownies for everybody?
Not quite. Pot legalization in the Evergreen State has raised many questions, some that likely won’t be answered for a while. Here’s a quick primer:
WHO CAN USE MARIJUANA?
Adults over the age of 21 can possess up to an ounce.
WHERE CAN PEOPLE BUY IT?
You can have it, but for now it remains illegal to sell pot. Initiative 502, the measure state voters approved last month, gives the state a year to come up with a system of state-licensed growers, processors and retail stores.
CAN PEOPLE LIGHT UP IN PUBLIC, SAY, UNDER THE SEATTLE SPACE NEEDLE?
Technically, no. The new state law forbids smoking in public. People who do face a fine, as do people who openly drink alcohol in public. However, that didn’t stop people from smoking joints under the Space Needle on Thursday, when the new law took effect. For now, Seattle police say they won’t be writing tickets to those folks. They generally ignored small marijuana use even before Thursday, arguing they had bigger crimes to fight.
WILL POT BE TAXED?
Yes, under Washington’s new law, analysts figure a legal pot market could reap hundreds of millions of dollars a year in new taxes for schools, health care and other things.
WHAT IS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GOING TO DO?
That’s the question state officials want answered in Washington and Colorado, where marijuana becomes legal next month. So far, the Justice Department has reiterated that marijuana remains illegal under federal law, but Uncle Sam’s lawyers have yet to specifically respond to the new pot laws in those two states. So, lighting up could still technically get you in trouble with the feds.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl