RICHMOND, Texas (AP) – Hilmar Moore, who has been mayor of the Southeast Texas town of Richmond since 1949, has died at age 92.
Moore died Tuesday night after a lengthy illness, his wife, Evelyn Moore, said Wednesday. Hilmar Moore was the nation’s longest-serving mayor of uninterrupted tenure, according to the website for the city of Richmond, which is about 25 miles southwest of Houston.
Moore first became mayor when he was appointed to fill an unexpired term in September 1949. He had come back to the area after serving in the Pacific in World War II.
“I was called to the Rotary Club on Monday, Sept. 22, 1949, just to attend the meeting and they said, `We want you to fill out an unexpired term as mayor,'” he said in a recent interview with public radio station KUHF-FM in Houston. “I said, `OK, I’ll think about it.’ They said, `No, we want to swear you in this afternoon.’ I said, `Wow. That’s a little fast.'”
When he took office, Richmond had about 2,000 residents. It now has more than 12,000.
The San Antonio native also ran cattle on land that had been in the family since 1822, and served on several national and Texas groups that represent ranchers. His mother was a member of the prominent Guenther milling family in San Antonio.
“I have three ancestors who were here during the period that Texas was a republic,” Moore told KUHF. “In fact, my great-great-grandfather was one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, so my roots are pretty deep here in Fort Bend County.”
A life-size statue of Moore in front of Richmond’s City Hall was unveiled in 2008.
A public memorial for Moore is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Richmond.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon