AP Business Writer
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – An investment banker at Wells Fargo Securities and his longtime friend passed along insider tips on pending company mergers to friends or family members in five states that generated more than $11 million in illicit trading profits, federal regulators said Wednesday.
The Securities and Exchange Commission said John W. Femenia misused his position to trade in information about four pending mergers involving the firm’s clients before the deals were announced.
Femenia did not return a call seeking comment Wednesday. He was based in Wells Fargo’s Charlotte office in 2010 and 2011 when the SEC said he passed along insider information on three mergers before moving to New York.
The commission said Femenia passed inside information about an impending deal to Shawn C. Hegedus, who worked as a registered broker. Femenia and Hegedus then tipped off other friends who in turn tipped more friends or family members in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, California and New York.
Femenia “basically started a phone tree of nonpublic information to enrich friends and others,” said William Hicks, associate director for enforcement in the SEC’s Atlanta office.
Ten people were named in the civil complaint filed Wednesday by the SEC in federal court in Charlotte. Hegedus did not have a listed phone number; a message left with his father was not returned Wednesday.
The SEC’s complaint said the illicit trading happened between July 2010 and July 2012, with the last merger involving the acquisition of Baton Rouge, La.-based Shaw Group by Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.
Big deals create opportunities for those who have the information first to cash in on a stock’s direction before others, said David Hoyle, The Shaw Group’s lead outside director and North Carolina’s top tax official.
“Anytime there’s some kind of merger opportunity, there’s always folks that have the opportunity because they know more than somebody else,” Hoyle said.
Emery Dalesio can be reached at
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier