AP Business Writer
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – An investment banker at Wells Fargo Securities and his longtime friend passed along insider tips on pending company mergers to friends or family members in five states that generated more than $11 million in illicit trading profits, federal regulators said Wednesday.
The Securities and Exchange Commission said John W. Femenia misused his position to trade in information about four pending mergers involving the firm’s clients before the deals were announced.
Femenia did not return a call seeking comment Wednesday. He was based in Wells Fargo’s Charlotte office in 2010 and 2011 when the SEC said he passed along insider information on three mergers before moving to New York.
The commission said Femenia passed inside information about an impending deal to Shawn C. Hegedus, who worked as a registered broker. Femenia and Hegedus then tipped off other friends who in turn tipped more friends or family members in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, California and New York.
Femenia “basically started a phone tree of nonpublic information to enrich friends and others,” said William Hicks, associate director for enforcement in the SEC’s Atlanta office.
Ten people were named in the civil complaint filed Wednesday by the SEC in federal court in Charlotte. Hegedus did not have a listed phone number; a message left with his father was not returned Wednesday.
The SEC’s complaint said the illicit trading happened between July 2010 and July 2012, with the last merger involving the acquisition of Baton Rouge, La.-based Shaw Group by Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.
Big deals create opportunities for those who have the information first to cash in on a stock’s direction before others, said David Hoyle, The Shaw Group’s lead outside director and North Carolina’s top tax official.
“Anytime there’s some kind of merger opportunity, there’s always folks that have the opportunity because they know more than somebody else,” Hoyle said.
Emery Dalesio can be reached at
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon