(AP) – A woman charged with removing her baby daughter from a Pennsylvania hospital against doctor’s orders says she was just trying to do right by the baby, who needed special treatment for a heart defect.
April Saul says Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown refused her request to transfer her 3-month-old daughter to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia even though it didn’t have the specialist she required.
Police filed charges against Saul and her fiance last week for removing their baby without permission in October.
Saul said Monday she felt she had no other choice.
Lehigh Valley Hospital says the baby was “medically unstable.” A prosecutor says Children’s Hospital wasn’t ready to take the baby and the parents acted unreasonably.
The baby eventually was transferred and is scheduled for heart surgery this week.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night