(AP) – A woman charged with removing her baby daughter from a Pennsylvania hospital against doctor’s orders says she was just trying to do right by the baby, who needed special treatment for a heart defect.
April Saul says Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown refused her request to transfer her 3-month-old daughter to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia even though it didn’t have the specialist she required.
Police filed charges against Saul and her fiance last week for removing their baby without permission in October.
Saul said Monday she felt she had no other choice.
Lehigh Valley Hospital says the baby was “medically unstable.” A prosecutor says Children’s Hospital wasn’t ready to take the baby and the parents acted unreasonably.
The baby eventually was transferred and is scheduled for heart surgery this week.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food