(AP) – A woman charged with removing her baby daughter from a Pennsylvania hospital against doctor’s orders says she was just trying to do right by the baby, who needed special treatment for a heart defect.
April Saul says Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown refused her request to transfer her 3-month-old daughter to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia even though it didn’t have the specialist she required.
Police filed charges against Saul and her fiance last week for removing their baby without permission in October.
Saul said Monday she felt she had no other choice.
Lehigh Valley Hospital says the baby was “medically unstable.” A prosecutor says Children’s Hospital wasn’t ready to take the baby and the parents acted unreasonably.
The baby eventually was transferred and is scheduled for heart surgery this week.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl