ATLANTA (AP) – An elderly man accused of gunning down a Georgia woman after his motorized wheelchair and her car bumped is a military veteran and church deacon who has suffered strokes in recent years, his attorney said Thursday.
Frank Louis Reeves, 73, is accused of killing 65-year-old Linda Hunnicutt at a Macon gas station on Tuesday. His attorney, Veronica Brinson, told The Associated Press that Reeves is in shock about what happened and didn’t mean for anyone to get hurt.
“He’s never been in any trouble so this is new to him,” she said.
Reeves faces a murder charge.
Police say Reeves’ wheelchair came into contact with Hunnicutt’s Buick _ it’s not clear who hit whom. Authorities say Reeves shot the woman when she got out of her car. She later died at a hospital despite the efforts of bystanders who tried to revive her on the pavement next to the gas pump.
Hunnicutt was a stay-at-home mom who was hoping to adopt a less-fortunate family for the holidays this year to give them gifts, her daughter Kim Butler told The Telegraph newspaper of Macon. The Jones County woman had hosted an Easter egg hunt for area children for several years, Butler said.
Reeves served in the military around the time of the Korean War and used a wheelchair because he had suffered two strokes in the past few years, Brinson told the AP. The Macon man serves as a deacon at his church, she said. Reeves and his family said in a news release that they hope the Hunnicutt family can grieve in peace.
Reeves family said he has no criminal history, though Vinson is still awaiting a report that would confirm that, she said.
“He’s a really good man, really good man,” she said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development