ATLANTA (AP) – An elderly man accused of gunning down a Georgia woman after his motorized wheelchair and her car bumped is a military veteran and church deacon who has suffered strokes in recent years, his attorney said Thursday.
Frank Louis Reeves, 73, is accused of killing 65-year-old Linda Hunnicutt at a Macon gas station on Tuesday. His attorney, Veronica Brinson, told The Associated Press that Reeves is in shock about what happened and didn’t mean for anyone to get hurt.
“He’s never been in any trouble so this is new to him,” she said.
Reeves faces a murder charge.
Police say Reeves’ wheelchair came into contact with Hunnicutt’s Buick _ it’s not clear who hit whom. Authorities say Reeves shot the woman when she got out of her car. She later died at a hospital despite the efforts of bystanders who tried to revive her on the pavement next to the gas pump.
Hunnicutt was a stay-at-home mom who was hoping to adopt a less-fortunate family for the holidays this year to give them gifts, her daughter Kim Butler told The Telegraph newspaper of Macon. The Jones County woman had hosted an Easter egg hunt for area children for several years, Butler said.
Reeves served in the military around the time of the Korean War and used a wheelchair because he had suffered two strokes in the past few years, Brinson told the AP. The Macon man serves as a deacon at his church, she said. Reeves and his family said in a news release that they hope the Hunnicutt family can grieve in peace.
Reeves family said he has no criminal history, though Vinson is still awaiting a report that would confirm that, she said.
“He’s a really good man, really good man,” she said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets