EAGLEVILLE, Pa. (AP) – Two workers were cleaning an empty water tower Wednesday outside Philadelphia when scaffolding collapsed under them, sending one man plummeting to his death and leaving another hanging for three hours in a safety harness until he could be rescued.
Three men from Corrosion Control Corp., based in Pedricktown, N.J., were working inside the 100-foot-tall tower when an apparent equipment malfunction occurred shortly after 11 a.m., Lower Providence Police Chief Francis “Bud” Carroll said.
One man fell roughly 50 feet to his death, while the other dropped only partway and dangled from a harness. It took a rescuer more than three hours to free the trapped worker by going through the top of the tower, descending and attaching a second safety harness so they could be lowered together and leave through a small exit at ground level.
The survivor was being checked out at a hospital. No word was immediately released on his condition.
“He was talking to us from the onset. That is why this was not a rushed operation,” Lower Providence Fire Chief Bryan McFarland said. “We took our time and put as much safety into (the rescue) as we could.”
A third man was working inside the tank on ground level and was not hurt, Carroll said.
Carroll said the crew had been hired by Audubon Water Co. to clean the inside of the tank, in a residential neighborhood in Lower Providence Township, about 25 miles northwest of Philadelphia.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration will investigate, Montgomery County Coroner Walter Hofman said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them