EAGLEVILLE, Pa. (AP) – Two workers were cleaning an empty water tower Wednesday outside Philadelphia when scaffolding collapsed under them, sending one man plummeting to his death and leaving another hanging for three hours in a safety harness until he could be rescued.
Three men from Corrosion Control Corp., based in Pedricktown, N.J., were working inside the 100-foot-tall tower when an apparent equipment malfunction occurred shortly after 11 a.m., Lower Providence Police Chief Francis “Bud” Carroll said.
One man fell roughly 50 feet to his death, while the other dropped only partway and dangled from a harness. It took a rescuer more than three hours to free the trapped worker by going through the top of the tower, descending and attaching a second safety harness so they could be lowered together and leave through a small exit at ground level.
The survivor was being checked out at a hospital. No word was immediately released on his condition.
“He was talking to us from the onset. That is why this was not a rushed operation,” Lower Providence Fire Chief Bryan McFarland said. “We took our time and put as much safety into (the rescue) as we could.”
A third man was working inside the tank on ground level and was not hurt, Carroll said.
Carroll said the crew had been hired by Audubon Water Co. to clean the inside of the tank, in a residential neighborhood in Lower Providence Township, about 25 miles northwest of Philadelphia.
The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration will investigate, Montgomery County Coroner Walter Hofman said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match