CHICORA, Pa. (AP) – A defense lawyer said Tuesday he may ask for bail reduction for the western Pennsylvania man accused of throwing nail polish on his girlfriend’s 7-year-old son then recording him after he was set on fire.
Attorney Gerald Cassady said he may ask that bond be lowered for Edward Myers, whose preliminary hearing Tuesday was delayed while prosecutors seek to interview another possible witness.
Myers is in jail on $250,000 bond, which he has been unable to make. His next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 13.
Cassady said Myers is “shocked” and has trouble believing he’s in jail.
“We wish the young man a speedy recovery,” Cassady said of the injured boy.
The 36-year-old Saxonburg man is facing felony assault and other charges related to the alleged May 25 attack. He’s pleaded not guilty. He declined to comment before his court appearance Tuesday, about 30 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
Police said Myers threw nail polish on the boy then did nothing to help him after he was set on fire, either by Myers or other boys at the home in Saxonburg. The boy suffered third-degree burns on his face and chest and had welts on his forehead from being shot with a plastic pellet gun. Myers’ 15-year-old son is facing juvenile charges in the incident.
The criminal complaint said police seized several cellphones during the investigation, but Cassady said he hasn’t seen any videos of the alleged attack yet. According to the complaint, the boy said it “seemed like hours” before his mother returned home and took him to the hospital. Myers allegedly telephoned the boy’s mother after the incident but didn’t tell her that her son was injured.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets