HYANNIS, Mass. (AP) – A Massachusetts newspaper says one of its longtime reporters made up sources for her stories, and it has issued an apology.
Cape Cod Times Publisher Peter Meyer and Editor Paul Pronovost said Tuesday an internal review found the reporter wrote dozens of stories with “sources who do not exist.”
They say editors doing an audit of Karen Jeffrey’s work can’t find 69 people in 34 stories going back to 1998. They say Jeffrey admits inventing people and using fake names.
The newspaper says the bogus sourcing typically was in lighter stories, such as one about a Boston Red Sox opening game. It says in some cases none of the people quoted can be found.
A story posted on the newspaper’s website says Jeffrey no longer works there.
Jeffrey hasn’t returned a phone message seeking comment.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy