HYANNIS, Mass. (AP) – A Massachusetts newspaper says one of its longtime reporters made up sources for her stories, and it has issued an apology.
Cape Cod Times Publisher Peter Meyer and Editor Paul Pronovost said Tuesday an internal review found the reporter wrote dozens of stories with “sources who do not exist.”
They say editors doing an audit of Karen Jeffrey’s work can’t find 69 people in 34 stories going back to 1998. They say Jeffrey admits inventing people and using fake names.
The newspaper says the bogus sourcing typically was in lighter stories, such as one about a Boston Red Sox opening game. It says in some cases none of the people quoted can be found.
A story posted on the newspaper’s website says Jeffrey no longer works there.
Jeffrey hasn’t returned a phone message seeking comment.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona