NEW YORK (AP) – In a story Dec. 5 about next year’s New York City mayoral race, The Associated Press reported erroneously that former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion recently left the Democratic Party to become a Republican and was expected to run for mayor as a GOP candidate. Carrion left the Democratic Party but is now not affiliated with any party, and he may seek to run as an independent on the Republican Party line.
A corrected version of the story is below:
NYC mayor knocks reports he eyed Clinton to run
NY Mayor Bloomberg lashes out at reports he asked Hillary Clinton to mull running for his seat
By JENNIFER PELTZ
NEW YORK (AP) _ Mayor Michael Bloomberg lashed out Tuesday at reports that he encouraged U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to run to succeed him, and he pointedly praised the city official who has long been seen as his pick for the job.
Asked about the media reports, which cited anonymous sources, Bloomberg didn’t directly deny a conversation with Clinton but retorted: “Did you hear me say that?” And in a bit of political optics, expected mayoral candidate and current City Council Speaker Christine Quinn stood by Bloomberg’s side while he described her as key to his administration’s success.
“This woman has made an enormous difference in the city, she’s a leader, and I have nothing but respect for her,” Bloomberg said. “… I don’t know who’s going to run, but if you want to start a fight between me and Chris Quinn, you’re not going to do it.”
Clinton aides, meanwhile, wouldn’t confirm such a call took place or discuss her plans. Clinton has said she expects to step down soon from her Department of State post.
The New York Times first reported Monday that Bloomberg, an independent, suggested a mayoral bid to Clinton by phone a few months ago, but Clinton wasn’t interested.
Clinton, for that matter, doesn’t live in New York City. She and former President Bill Clinton have a house in suburban Chappaqua. They bought the home shortly before her successful 2000 run for the U.S. Senate.
Bloomberg’s third term, the last under a term limit he persuaded the Quinn-led council to extend in 2008, ends next year. Quinn in recent polls has been leading several other presumptive Democratic candidates: former city Comptroller Bill Thompson, current Comptroller John Liu and Public Advocate Bill de Blasio.
Asked whether she thought Clinton would make a good mayor, Quinn said she thought the former Democratic presidential candidate “would excel in any position she ever takes.”
Former Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion, who recently left the Democratic Party to become unaffiliated, may seek to run as an independent on the Republican Party line. Local newspaper publisher Tom Allon, a Democrat-turned-Republican, has announced he’s running.
Associated Press writer Bradley Klapper in Brussels contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.