TRENTON, N.J. (AP) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie wants full federal reimbursement for some superstorm-related costs.
Christie sent a letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency on Monday requesting reimbursement of state and local government costs for debris removal and emergency protective measures for the 90 days after Superstorm Sandy hit the state at the end of October.
The Republican governor cites the financial burden confronting the state and local communities and says debris removal might not be able to continue if governments aren’t fully reimbursed.
The federal government typically doesn’t reimburse for the total cost of such services. But the Christie administration says there’s precedent for the request: Other states have received the aid for limited periods after similar natural disasters.
The superstorm killed more than 100 people in 10 states but hit New York and New Jersey the hardest.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food