TRENTON, N.J. (AP) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie wants full federal reimbursement for some superstorm-related costs.
Christie sent a letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency on Monday requesting reimbursement of state and local government costs for debris removal and emergency protective measures for the 90 days after Superstorm Sandy hit the state at the end of October.
The Republican governor cites the financial burden confronting the state and local communities and says debris removal might not be able to continue if governments aren’t fully reimbursed.
The federal government typically doesn’t reimburse for the total cost of such services. But the Christie administration says there’s precedent for the request: Other states have received the aid for limited periods after similar natural disasters.
The superstorm killed more than 100 people in 10 states but hit New York and New Jersey the hardest.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes