MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – An oil refinery worker has died after being exposed to propane and acid at a Valero plant in Memphis.
He is the second person to die this year from an on-the-job injury at the plant.
The plant has been cited for violations related to the safe handling and control of hazardous energy and chemicals.
Fire Department spokesman Wayne Cooke says two workers were injured when a sight glass on a pump ruptured, exposing them to a mixture of propane and hydrofluoric acid. A sight glass is a transparent tube or window that allows workers to monitor fluid levels within a tank, pipe, pump or boiler.
One of the workers died at the hospital. The second worker and two firefighters have non-critical injuries.
Company spokesman Bill Day says Valero is investigating and that safety is it most important concern.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development