MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – An oil refinery worker has died after being exposed to propane and acid at a Valero plant in Memphis.
He is the second person to die this year from an on-the-job injury at the plant.
The plant has been cited for violations related to the safe handling and control of hazardous energy and chemicals.
Fire Department spokesman Wayne Cooke says two workers were injured when a sight glass on a pump ruptured, exposing them to a mixture of propane and hydrofluoric acid. A sight glass is a transparent tube or window that allows workers to monitor fluid levels within a tank, pipe, pump or boiler.
One of the workers died at the hospital. The second worker and two firefighters have non-critical injuries.
Company spokesman Bill Day says Valero is investigating and that safety is it most important concern.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain