LOS ANGELES (AP) – Police sought a motive and a suspect Monday in the slayings of four people who were found in the yard of a suburban Southern California home that apparently served as an unlicensed boarding house.
A 911 call led police to the large house in Northridge around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, where they discovered the bodies on a side yard of the property, police said. Three of the bodies were found face-down and appeared to have been shot at close range.
The dead were two women in their mid-20s, a man in his mid-30s and another man in his late-40s, Capt. William Hayes said. Their names were not released.
Police believe at least some of the victims lived at the residence and may have been related.
Investigators questioned several people who were on the property at the time of the shooting, but no one has been detained or arrested. Authorities don’t have a description of the suspect and no weapon was found at the scene.
Los Angeles City Councilman Mitchell Englander, who represents the area, said the house was split into several units for rent. He said at least a dozen people lived in the house, which contained several bedrooms, kitchenettes and mattresses on the floor.
“It appears from the nature of things that this was an unlicensed boarding facility,” Englander said from the crime scene. He noted that one bedroom was only accessible through a window.
Police added they hadn’t response calls from the house lately.
“This wasn’t a problem location for us in general,” said police Cmdr. Andrew Smith.
The house in the San Fernando Valley was on street lined with homes, schools and places of worship.
“This is a very safe neighborhood. This type of thing doesn’t normally happen here,” Englander said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon