KOKOMO, Ind. (AP) – A judge sentenced an Indiana man to 28 years in prison for a cocaine-fueled binge in which he killed a friend and stuffed his body inside an unplugged freezer.
Howard Circuit Court Judge Lynn Murray gave Walter Logan the maximum sentence Wednesday: 20 years for cocaine possession and eight years for reckless homicide in the November 2012 death of Alex Shipp, 29. Under a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped charges of murder and criminal confinement.
Murray said Logan showed “depraved indifference toward the victim” and his relatives by hiding Shipp’s body in a freezer in his home in Kokomo, about 50 miles north of Indianapolis.
Murray also ordered Logan to pay more than $1,800 in restitution for Shipp’s funeral expenses, the Kokomo Tribune reported (
Police began looking for Shipp in early December after his mother told them he hadn’t been seen since Nov. 8, 2012. Officers who went to Logan’s house found Shipp’s decomposed but intact body in a freezer that was not plugged in.
Court documents say Logan told investigators that he and Shipp had known each other for about two years and had a sexual relationship. He said the men got drunk, did drugs and had sex. Afterward, Logan said Shipp became belligerent and wanted to fight, but Logan bound Shipp’s hands and feet and placed duct tape over his nose and mouth.
Logan told investigators he tried to kill himself with pills and wrote a suicide note, but he fell asleep before he could finish writing it. When Logan woke up, Shipp appeared to be dead. Logan removed the tape from Shipp’s face before going back to sleep, court documents say.
After he awoke again, Logan allegedly waited about six hours and then carried Shipp’s body to the basement, where he stuffed it inside the freezer, documents say. When police came to Logan’s home, he led them to the freezer.
Information from: Kokomo Tribune,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick