KOKOMO, Ind. (AP) – A judge sentenced an Indiana man to 28 years in prison for a cocaine-fueled binge in which he killed a friend and stuffed his body inside an unplugged freezer.
Howard Circuit Court Judge Lynn Murray gave Walter Logan the maximum sentence Wednesday: 20 years for cocaine possession and eight years for reckless homicide in the November 2012 death of Alex Shipp, 29. Under a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped charges of murder and criminal confinement.
Murray said Logan showed “depraved indifference toward the victim” and his relatives by hiding Shipp’s body in a freezer in his home in Kokomo, about 50 miles north of Indianapolis.
Murray also ordered Logan to pay more than $1,800 in restitution for Shipp’s funeral expenses, the Kokomo Tribune reported (
Police began looking for Shipp in early December after his mother told them he hadn’t been seen since Nov. 8, 2012. Officers who went to Logan’s house found Shipp’s decomposed but intact body in a freezer that was not plugged in.
Court documents say Logan told investigators that he and Shipp had known each other for about two years and had a sexual relationship. He said the men got drunk, did drugs and had sex. Afterward, Logan said Shipp became belligerent and wanted to fight, but Logan bound Shipp’s hands and feet and placed duct tape over his nose and mouth.
Logan told investigators he tried to kill himself with pills and wrote a suicide note, but he fell asleep before he could finish writing it. When Logan woke up, Shipp appeared to be dead. Logan removed the tape from Shipp’s face before going back to sleep, court documents say.
After he awoke again, Logan allegedly waited about six hours and then carried Shipp’s body to the basement, where he stuffed it inside the freezer, documents say. When police came to Logan’s home, he led them to the freezer.
Information from: Kokomo Tribune,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.