COUDERSPORT, Pa. (AP) – A northern Pennsylvania man who fatally shot his ex-wife while she played the organ at a Sunday church service has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Fifty-three-year-old Gregory Eldred, of Coudersport, apologized Tuesday and told a Potter County judge he was acting “irrationally” at the time.
Eldred pleaded guilty last week to first-degree murder for shooting 53-year-old Darlene Sitler on Dec. 2 at the First United Presbyterian Church of Coudersport. The church is about 140 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
Eldred was an elementary school music teacher, and Sitler taught music at the Northern Potter Children’s School.
Parishioners and the pastor came to Sitler’s aid, but no one else was hurt in the shooting. Eldred surrendered outside the church when police arrived.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona