FALMOUTH, Mass. (AP) – The granddaughters of pioneering geneticist Thomas Hunt Morgan have donated his Nobel Prize and artistically decorated Nobel diploma to the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole.
Morgan was a student at the lab starting in 1889 and later returned nearly every summer to conduct research.
Morgan was a pioneer in using fruit flies for genetic research, proving hereditary material was located on chromosomes.
He received the first-ever Nobel Prize in the field of genetics in 1933. His granddaughters said there was no better place than the laboratory to leave the gold medal prize and diploma.
The diploma was created by artist Jerk Werkmaster. It depicts buildings with gold roofs and a woman with a laurel wreath floating under the sun. In 1965, certain Nobel diplomas were simplified to omit art.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick