SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – Women would be prohibited from having abortions based on whether they want a boy or a girl under legislation proposed by a Utah lawmaker.
State Sen. Margaret Dayton tells the Deseret News (
http://bit.ly/VhEkMb) she also is considering preventing women from getting abortions based on the race of a baby.
Planned Parenthood of Utah Executive Director Karrie Galloway opposes the Orem Republican’s proposed “Gender Selection Abortion Prohibition” bill.
She says she views the bill as a “solution looking for a problem” because she’s unaware of any abuse concerning such abortions.
The selective abortion of female fetuses is most common in countries where cultural norms value male children over female children, including parts of China, India and Pakistan.
Arizona, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania already ban sex-selective abortions.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development