ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – An official in New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s (KWOH’-mohz) administration says the governor is headed to Washington on Monday to make his pitch for about $42 billion in federal aid to help the state recover from Superstorm Sandy.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Friday because Cuomo’s official schedule hadn’t been released.
Cuomo is asking for more than $32 billion from President Barack Obama’s administration and Congress for repairs and to cover the immediate costs triggered by Sandy. The superstorm hit New York City, Long Island and the Hudson Valley in late October.
Cuomo also wants $9 billion for preventive measures to better protect the area for the next big storm.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was in Washington on Wednesday to request $19 billion of the total for his city.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.