ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – An official in New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s (KWOH’-mohz) administration says the governor is headed to Washington on Monday to make his pitch for about $42 billion in federal aid to help the state recover from Superstorm Sandy.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Friday because Cuomo’s official schedule hadn’t been released.
Cuomo is asking for more than $32 billion from President Barack Obama’s administration and Congress for repairs and to cover the immediate costs triggered by Sandy. The superstorm hit New York City, Long Island and the Hudson Valley in late October.
Cuomo also wants $9 billion for preventive measures to better protect the area for the next big storm.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was in Washington on Wednesday to request $19 billion of the total for his city.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick