ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – An official in New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s (KWOH’-mohz) administration says the governor is headed to Washington on Monday to make his pitch for about $42 billion in federal aid to help the state recover from Superstorm Sandy.
The official spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Friday because Cuomo’s official schedule hadn’t been released.
Cuomo is asking for more than $32 billion from President Barack Obama’s administration and Congress for repairs and to cover the immediate costs triggered by Sandy. The superstorm hit New York City, Long Island and the Hudson Valley in late October.
Cuomo also wants $9 billion for preventive measures to better protect the area for the next big storm.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was in Washington on Wednesday to request $19 billion of the total for his city.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development