HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) – A former Penn State University professor has been sentenced to nearly 3 1/2 years in federal prison for more than $3 million in research grant fraud.
Prosecutors said 55-year-old Craig Grimes of Raleigh, N.C., defrauded the National Institutes of Health between 2006 and 2011 while a PSU professor of material sciences and engineering.
Authorities say his State College company got a $1.2 million grant, but funds weren’t sent to Hershey Medical Center as promised and clinical studies weren’t done. Authorities say Grimes also made false statements for a $1.9 million solar energy grant.
Grimes told the judge who sentenced him Friday to 41 months that he was zealous in wanting to help the world.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Terz said Grimes “is not a mad scientist. He’s a dishonest scientist.”
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon