PAULSBORO, N.J. (AP) – A railroad is offering parents in southern New Jersey a settlement stemming from a derailment that would make it difficult for their children to sue if they get sick in the future.
Lawyer Alan Sklarsky, who represents hundreds of Paulsboro residents, says Conrail is offering some families $500 per child. Those closest to the derailment site are being offered more.
Sklarsky says the amount would not cover future medical bills if the children get sick.
One tanker released vinyl chloride into the air when a half-dozen rail cars derailed on a bridge in November. The chemical is linked to short-term breathing problems, but prolonged exposure has been tied to cancer.
Conrail has said that it is settling claims “fairly and promptly.”
A judge has not yet ruled on the settlements.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever