PAULSBORO, N.J. (AP) – A railroad is offering parents in southern New Jersey a settlement stemming from a derailment that would make it difficult for their children to sue if they get sick in the future.
Lawyer Alan Sklarsky, who represents hundreds of Paulsboro residents, says Conrail is offering some families $500 per child. Those closest to the derailment site are being offered more.
Sklarsky says the amount would not cover future medical bills if the children get sick.
One tanker released vinyl chloride into the air when a half-dozen rail cars derailed on a bridge in November. The chemical is linked to short-term breathing problems, but prolonged exposure has been tied to cancer.
Conrail has said that it is settling claims “fairly and promptly.”
A judge has not yet ruled on the settlements.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development