SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – Californians may have missed out on this week’s record-setting Powerball lottery drawing, but they will be able to buy tickets to the multistate game starting next spring.
The California Lottery Commission voted Thursday to adopt the jackpot lottery Powerball, joining the 42 other states that already play it, along with the District of Columbia. Retailers will begin selling tickets in April.
Powerball frenzy hit a peak this week as the jackpot soared to a record $588 million. Two players, in Missouri and Arizona, matched all six numbers and are expected to share the prize.
In California, Lottery Director Robert T. O’Neill says Powerball could bring in an additional $50 million to $100 million for public schools. It is California’s second multistate game, after Mega Millions.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy