SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – The owner of a popular Northern California oyster farm says he’ll ask the U.S. Supreme Court to hear his case challenging a federal decision not to renew the facility’s lease.
Kevin Lunny, owner of Drakes Bay Oyster Co., made the announcement Tuesday after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said it wouldn’t reconsider his case.
The oyster company in the Point Reyes National Seashore has remained open since former Interior Secretary Ken Salazar in 2012 refused to renew its lease. Salazar cited a 1976 congressional decision to return the waters of Drakes Estero to wilderness status.
The farm has since lost all of its appeals to overturn that decision.
Lunny says he remains committed to his fight.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl