SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – The owner of a popular Northern California oyster farm says he’ll ask the U.S. Supreme Court to hear his case challenging a federal decision not to renew the facility’s lease.
Kevin Lunny, owner of Drakes Bay Oyster Co., made the announcement Tuesday after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said it wouldn’t reconsider his case.
The oyster company in the Point Reyes National Seashore has remained open since former Interior Secretary Ken Salazar in 2012 refused to renew its lease. Salazar cited a 1976 congressional decision to return the waters of Drakes Estero to wilderness status.
The farm has since lost all of its appeals to overturn that decision.
Lunny says he remains committed to his fight.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night